Job Opportunity: Managing Director
Dancewave provides all NYC youth access to a supportive dance experience that embraces and encourages individuality and equips students with the life skills to unlock their full potential as people and community members.
Building on years of tremendous organizational and programmatic growth and success, Dancewave has launched our first capital project. In collaboration with the NYC Department of Cultural Affairs and Department of Design and Construction, Dancewave will break ground to create a new arts and culture center in Gowanus, Brooklyn. Our new Dancewave Center will be a nexus in the community, bringing our diverse participants together under one roof, expanding our reach so that more NYC youth can build life skills through dance and celebrating the joy of dance as a cultural expression with our neighbors. The Dancewave Center is a $4-million project that has thus far received $3.4 million in NYC capital funding. The current campaign is to raise $600,000 in 2 years. Dancewave Leadership, including its Board of Directors, is 100% committed to this endeavor
Dancewave is now looking for a Managing Director who is talented, eager, and invigorated to help lead our organization as we take Dancewave to the next level. The ideal candidate will take an important role in shaping our future and elevating Dancewave to prominence in Brooklyn’s cultural landscape. The Managing Director will oversee fundraising campaigns, actively cultivate relationships with corporate and community organizations, maintain the fiscal integrity of Dancewave, supervise staff, and steward the capital project. A tall order! Importantly, the Managing Director will need to be comfortable diving into new projects and learning on the job. This is an opportunity that has great growth potential.
The Managing Director reports to the Executive Director and, with the support of the Development Associate and Marketing Associate, plays an integral role in the development and execution of the organization’s strategic plan in addition to day-to-day administrative activities including:
- Create and execute short and long-term development plans (both organizational development plans and capital campaign plans)
- Identify and cultivate potential new donors including individual, foundation, and corporate relationships
- Collaborate with the Executive Director, Development Associate, and marketing team to create compelling powerful donor outreach materials
- Manage and execute foundation, corporate, and government grant proposals
- Manage the annual Gala, annual appeal, and donor cultivation events
- Work with the Capital Campaign Committee to execute campaign fundraising activities and achieve goals
- Oversee the gift acknowledgement, donor communication, and database management processes (executed by the Development Associate)
- Act as primary liaison between Dancewave, landlord, NYC Department of Cultural Affairs, Department of Design and Construction, and other capital project stakeholders
- Execute all necessary paperwork and outreach in order to ensure project moves forward
- Along with the Executive Director, act as a leader to encourage, inspire, and engage the Dancewave staff (administrative staff of 6)
- Manage human resource functions including hiring, insurance, staff handbook, vacation and other employee policies
- Support the end-of-year performance review process in partnership with the Executive Director
- Work with the Executive Director and Board of Directors to develop an annual budget
- Manage monthly financial reporting, maintenance of the accounting systems, and annual audit
- Work with Dancewave’s Treasurer of the Board of Directors to manage budget performance, forecasting, cash flow projections
Board of Directors:
- Serve with the Executive Director, as the primary staff liaison to an engaged Board of Directors
- Prepare quarterly Board reports on development activities, operations updates, and capital project updates
- Coordinate with Dancewave’s Fund Development Committee to communicate fundraising goals and progress, and encourage active participation from the Board to achieve development goals
- Build and strengthen relationships between Dancewave and various local and regional organizations, including government agencies and advocacy groups, community and local business groups and arts organizations
- Serve, with the Executive Director, as the public face of Dancewave
- Above and beyond all, act as a fearless advocate and passionate supporter of our Dancewave community!
The ideal candidate will have:
- Experience working within the nonprofit community, gradually taking on larger projects and responsibilities
- Prior experience in the arts, particularly Dance, is preferable
- Masters Degree in arts administration, public administration, nonprofit management, or other related field is preferable but not required
- Demonstrated experience implementing fundraising campaigns and identifying new sources and increased levels of contributed income
- Strong business and financial management skills including experience creating short and long-term budgets and goals
- Ability to speak and write persuasively
- Familiarity with MS Office, Google Docs, Excel and QuickBooks; Knowledge of Salesforce a plus
- Passion for youth development, the arts, and access to empowering opportunities for all
- No experience managing a capital project or real estate development experience is required. However, the ideal candidate should be willing and excited to jump into new territory and learn on the job.
Salary and benefits:
Dancewave is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Diverse applicants are strongly encouraged to apply. Enjoy a fast-paced, dynamic work environment where dance and music are never far. Salary is commensurate with experience. Vacation and health insurance are provided, as well as the opportunity to enjoy free adult dance classes at our studio. This role provides the opportunity for long-term growth opportunity as the organization triples its footprint over the next few years.
How to Capture This Opportunity
Please send a cover letter detailing qualifications and salary requirement, a resume, and a brief writing sample via email to email@example.com. Please write "Managing Director" in the subject heading. We will contact those applicants who we wish to interview. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Please do not contact us by phone.